02/06/14 - Home Sweet Home!

I've been living alone for more than two whole weeks now and it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't even thought to mention it on here.  If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you're probably already aware of this fact but I thought that such a momentous change in my life probably warranted its own blog post!  I thought I'd throw in a little before-and-after feature to give you a little insight into my humble abode.  It's come a lot further since I took these photos; my walls are looking a bit fuller now, some of the pictures have been moved around, I've acquired a rug and some shelves...but I'm sure you'll get to see those at some point if you're particularly interested.


Yes, I'm a grown woman who has a Miffy toy on her bed.  And what?

After living with my parents for most of my life, then moving to university halls, then into a house of six before returning to my parents after graduation, it's quite nice to have some space which is exclusively mine.  Work has been hectic and I've been keeping myself busy, so I've barely spent any time by myself...eventually the day will come when I suddenly sit down and realise that it's just me rattling around in this two bedroom flat.  I'm mostly settled in now and it's so handy being within walking distance of where I work rather than having to catch two trains there and two trains back...which of course means no more moaning about my commute, so everybody wins!





The new-found independence is a treat, even if it is a little strange adjusting to it.  It's great to be able to watch what I want on the television, I love that cereal has become an acceptable evening meal, and there's no one to tell me that playing the ukulele at eleven pm is a bad idea.  However, the downside is that the piles of washing up I leave by the sink actually stay there until I do something about it and there's no one to make me a cup of coffee of a morning.  I'm coping somehow and I've not found myself being too lonely yet, which was my main concern about moving into my own place.  I've actually enjoyed the peace and quiet after some busy days at work!






If nothing else, most people know that I love any excuse to buy home decor-y things and of course a new flat warrants at least one trip to IKEA!  In my opinion, there's very little better than wandering around all those beautiful showrooms with the intention of buying a single piece of furniture before coming away with a car full of little bits and pieces you didn't know you needed until you saw them and a stomach full of insanely cheap Swedish food and free coffee refills.  That's my idea of bliss and I don't care if it's a bit sad...





So there you have it!  If you're interested in seeing any more home-type posts, just let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Be the first to comment on this post: