14/11/13 - The Book Lover Survey

Everyone knows that I am a big reader, I can't imagine that will come as huge surprise.  And from what I can tell, a lot of my lovely blog followers are pretty into reading as well.  For that reason, when I saw this tag on Laura's blog, I couldn't resist giving it a go.

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
Honestly, I can't recall a time when I didn't love reading.  I was brought up on it, from having stories read to me at bedtime for years and always being encouraged to challenge myself with new reading material from an early age.  Both my parents are big readers and books have always been a huge part of my life.  No exaggeration, there are books in every single room of our house and that never stopped us visiting the local library on a regular basis.  We even used to have a system whereby if the whole family could go a few days a week without once using a screen recreationally - that's TV, computers, phones - we'd all go and buy new books at the weekend.  


This is just a fraction of my book collection.

Where do you usually read?
I hate to admit it but I am terrible for getting distracted by other things, so I read mostly on public transport or in the bath - two places the Internet can't reach me.  I used to read a lot on the treadmill (another Internet-free zone), but my lack of gym has put a stop to that.  I'm even in the habit of going for long walks simply to listen to another hour of my audiobook.

Do you prefer to read one book at a time or several at once?
I used to be someone who would read several books at a time, and it's a habit I'm glad I've broken.  It's so much easier to get invested in the characters and the plot if you're only engaging with one book.  This became a struggle during my English degree as I had to read a lot at once.

What is your favourite genre?
I'm a fiction girl through and through.  Other than that, I try not to limit myself too much although I read quite a lot of young adult novels.  I'm also a fan of autobiographies, but only if I'm particularly interested in the person.

Is there a genre you will not read?
I'm not a huge fan of a lot of non-fiction and you'd never really find me in the horror or sci-fi section, but I'm sure the right book could change that.  

Do you have a favourite book?
Short answer: no.  

Long answer: I've had various favourite books at different times in my life, but normally it tends to be one of a top five.  A few that have transcended from my childhood are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.  I was always a big fan of Jacqueline Wilson and her books will always hold a special place in my heart.  It goes without saying that the Harry Potter series is in there, along with a lot of John Green's books and anything by F Scott Fitzgerald.  I also really love The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.  I could ramble about this forever, so I'm putting a stop to this answer right now.



What is your least favourite book?
My answer to this is a tad controversial but it's The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger.  I don't know if it's just that I read it too late in life and had moved a little past the teen angst stage, but I just couldn't feel any connection to Holden Caulfield and I can't quite understand the hype around it.

What is the longest book you have ever read?
I wish I had a more original answer but it's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.  Obviously.  Come one, why would I invest so much time in a book that wasn't about everyone's favourite boy wizard?

What was the last book you bought?
I recently invested in a stack of books from an author event I was covering at work; The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black and the entirety of a Sarah Rees Brennan trilogy (The Demon's Lexicon, The Demon's Covenant and The Demon's Surrender).  They're not necessarily my typical chosen genre (YA fantasy has largely passed me by) but I've really enjoyed the ones I've read so far and they're signed, so that's even cooler.



Do you prefer library books or buying books?
Both!  I've always been an avid library user, particularly enjoying the chance to try books for free and swapping them when I fancy new ones.  However, in my opinion, very little can beat the sight of a bookshelf filled to bursting, be it with brand new books or second-hand ones that I've adopted into my little inky family

What are you currently reading?
I sort of wish I could answer this question with a highly intellectual answer, but the truth of the matter is that I'm currently enjoying The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell.  Having watched the TV series starring the adorable AnnaSophia Robb, I just had to try the book and it's really fun and girly.  It would be perfect for a summer beach read.  I'm also listening to Jack Whitehall and his father Michael reading their book Him & Me when I'm out and about.   It's hilarious and a perfect portrayal of a teasing yet loving father-son relationship.  I would definitely recommend it, especially if you're a fan of Nigel Havers (which I am).  He features rather heavily.



If you feel like doing this tag or have already completed it, link your post in the comments.  I'd love to read them!